Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Chapter Nine Excerpt: Jealousy, Gossip, and Boys.

Continuing with excerpts from some of my favorite scenes, this is an excerpt from Chapter Nine.  The first excerpt, introduced a very important issue in the story that existed in the early 1960s, segregation.  This excerpt addresses issues every teen girl can relate to: jealousy, gossip, and...of course...boys.
 
 
As Marg took off her cover ups, I set down my bag to grab my own blanket.  Suddenly, the worst possible thing happened; I caught a glimpse of Judy running towards us.  Trip must have seen her at the same time because I heard him say, softly to Johnny, “What’s she doing here?”
“I invited her,” Marg stated smugly.
“Why?” Johnny questioned.
“Because she’s my friend, and I need her.”
Johnny looked bewildered for a moment as he watched Marg get up and join her friend.  They did not join us right away as they stood off in the distance whispering to each other.  It became apparent to me that Marg was rehashing the conversation we had in my room to Judy.  I watched them closely as I imagined the things they were saying to one other.  I was so involved in them that I did not notice that Johnny had walked up behind me.
“Why do I feel as if I am being ambushed?” Johnny asked.  I jumped at his question, and he laughed.  “Sorry, didn’t mean to startle you.”
I smiled.  Our short interlude increased the rage on Marg and Judy’s faces.  Johnny looked at the girls and then back at me.
“Am I being ambushed or are you?” he questioned.
“I think both of us,” I replied softly.
“Don’t worry, I’ll protect you,” he stated as he put his hand on my back and led me over to his friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment