Sunday, March 30, 2014

History: The Early 1960s

This is the last excerpt.  I hope you all enjoy it.  Soon I will begin a series of interviews with teen readers of the book as they relate the story to their high school experience. 



It was September 26, 1960, when the presidential debate between Vice-President Nixon and Senator Kennedy aired.  All the networks carried that first joint radio-television broadcast.  It seemed like everyone in the nation gathered around their television sets or radios to listen to that first of four debates.

Our family was no different.  We sat in the living room that night, glued to the glowing image in front of us.  Eddie stayed over to watch with us.

Everyone says they remember where they were that night.  I remember sitting on the couch with Eddie beside me which made it terribly difficult to focus on the debate.  It was hard for me to focus, anyway, as they talked about the Communist offensive, Federal Government expenditures and the farmers’ economy.  It was all gibberish to me.  I did enjoy watching Senator Kennedy, though.  The camera loved him, which was a complete contrast from Vice-President Nixon who looked as if he might be sick at any moment.

I also enjoyed watching Eddie with my father as they talked over every point that was made by both sides.  My father took his responsibility to vote very seriously.  He did not take either candidate at face value.  He studied every issue and then made an informed decision.  He said that was the only way it should be done.  He took it upon himself, since Eddie was with us, to update Eddie on all the policies which were being discussed.  Eddie listened intently and made intelligent responses, which caused my father to stop and consider Eddie’s concerns.  It was fun to witness.

No comments:

Post a Comment